About the team/job
EMBL is Europe’s flagship research organization for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organization with more than 80 independent research groups covering the spectrum of molecular biology. EMBL is international, innovative and interdisciplinary – its approx. 2000 employees of more than 80 nationalities, operate across six sites in Barcelona, Cambridge, Grenoble, Hamburg, Heidelberg and Rome.
The EMBL Grenoble site is located in the heart of the French Alps and has a world-wide reputation for research and service activities in structural molecular biology.
The IT group of EMBL Grenoble is responsible for providing efficiently run and cost effective office and scientific computing support for admin and scientific staff, in particular high performance storage and processing of X-ray crystallographic and cryo-electron microscope data.
Your role within the IT Service will include the following responsibilities:
- Prepare, install and maintain high availability computer services primarily based on Linux;
- Prepare, install and maintain HPC services based on current community standards (currently SLURM);
- Prepare, install and maintain storage services based on current community/market standards (currently BeeGFS, NetAPP, ZFS);
- Prepare, install and maintain Linux desktop/laptop systems;
- Participate to network devices and firewall IT lifecycle;
- Identify improvement points in the current Linux IT service infrastructure and propose/implement next cycle systems;
- Provide excellent and user friendly support for our internal and external Users;
- For short periods (e.g. vacations), contribute to any other Computer and Network team sysadmin tasks.
Candidates must hold a BSc or MSc in Computer Science, or equivalent qualifications, and prior experience in the same line of work.
The ideal candidate should have:
- In-depth technical experience with Linux Systems;
- Knowledge of Unix-based services;
- Programming and scripting ability such as Python or bash;
- Knowledge of configuration management tools such as Ansible and/or Puppet;
- Knowledge of virtualization technologies and advanced file systems;
- Intermediate to advanced verbal and written communication in English (and/or French);
- Aptitude to produce and maintain reliable and documented work;
- Strong ability to communicate and to work effectively in a team;
- Balanced interest in Opensource as well as proprietary technologies.
Candidates with short or average experience with the system administration field but who are at ease with its concepts and techniques are welcome to apply as well.
Why join us
What we offer
- The chance to work in and contribute to one of the highest ranked scientific research organizations in the world;
- The chance to work with cutting edge technologies;
- The opportunity to broaden your skills using commercial and open source technologies within an international scientific environment;
- Continued certified training and development of professional and personal skills;
- Competitive salary & benefits exempt from national taxes;
- Flexible work arrangements;
- Comprehensive medical, educational and other social benefits for you and your immediate family;
- Assistance for relocation if needed;
- The chance to work in a friendly, flexible and inclusive, equal opportunity organisation strongly committed to achieving gender balance.
What else you need to know
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
Please apply online through: www.embl.org/jobs