A Bioinformatician position is available in the Shilatifard laboratory in the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics at Northwestern University. Experience in the Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) is a pre-requisite, with background in bioinformatics, biostatistics, or computational biology. Bioinformatician will support current projects analyzing ChIP-seq, RNA-seq and PRO-seq data and will assist in scaling the rapidly growing genomics platform by building state-of-the-art bioinformatics solutions. The successful candidate will work under a supervision of the Lead Bioinformatician to design, implement, and validate NGS bioinformatics pipelines and maintain NGS database. This position requires proficiency in R, Python or Perl, and familiarity with bash scripting. The laboratory is located at the downtown Chicago campus in the vibrant Streeterville neighborhood along the shore of Lake Michigan.
- Performs data management, data analysis and other bioinformatics-related tasks in coordination with other computing and bioinformatics staff. Assures that quality control criteria are met.
- Adheres to detailed work plans and timelines. Provides timely status reports.
- Collaborates with technical staff, instructs rotating students and new members of the laboratory staff as needed.
- Reviews reports before presentation to ensure quality and accuracy.
- Prepare manuscripts on related data analysis.
- Management of the related data produced at the Core Facility
- Supports bioinformatics operations and supports NGS projects in the Shilatifard Lab at the direction of the Lead Bioinformatician.
- Support current Next Generation Sequencing projects with datasets including ChIP-seq, Total RNA-seq, Nascent RNA-seq, and GRO-seq.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor’s or higher degree; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- 4 years data analysis/report writing, or similar experience required.
- Please see information highlighted in tables below.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Demonstrated ability to learn about new technologies
- Demonstrated ability in working with commercial software
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to work with individuals and groups
- Ability to multitask, work and learn independently, and be self-motivated
- A record of taking the initiative to solve problems and working to high-quality standards
- PhD or Master’s degree in Bioinformatics, Biostatistics or Computer Science with biology background.
- Proficient in Unix, with experience R, Python or Perl.
- Familiarity with at least one database language such MySQL, Oracle etc. is preferred.
- Background in statistics is preferred
- Willingness and capability to share knowledge with other members of the team
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Record of taking the initiative to solve problems and working with high standards
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with software versioning tools
- Please highlight requirements:
- Linux Operating System
- Programming Languages and Frameworks
- Shell Scripting
- critical thinking
- problem solving
- Code documentation
- collaboration and teamwork
- facilitate collaboration
- organizational skills
The Northwestern campus sits on the traditional homelands of the people of the Council of Three Fires, the Ojibwe, Potawatomi, and Odawa as well as the Menominee, Miami and Ho-Chunk nations. We acknowledge and honor the original people of the land upon which Northwestern University stands, and the Native people who remain on this land today.Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Click for information on EEO is the Law.
Read more here: Source link