The UPMC Genome Center is a clinical grade, full-service, high-throughput genome center with sequencing options designed for both clinical and research needs. We are looking for members to join our Bioinformatics team for analysis of a wide spectrum (Whole Exome/Genome Germline and Somatic, RNAseq, scRNAseq) of NGS data at the cutting-edge genomic research and clinical applications performed in our laboratory.
Join the team our team that is making a difference in Life Changing Medicine! After successful training period, this role may have the ability to work remote. Monday – Friday daylight shifts.
Responsible for assisting in ensuring data integrity and data competency for clinical and research data critical to business intelligence. This initiative addresses the current information architecture and technical environment challenges to establish the data request management foundation to create a standardized data access format across functional data. To successfully perform this role, the Specialist must have experience in the genomic and/or biology field, including deep knowledge of reference data repositories, standard practices, and analytical tools to transform, migrate, and analyze genomics data in disparate systems. Of particular importance to this position is the ability to independently provide detailed work and documentation required to assure the accuracy of the information and processes. This position will work closely with the Information Technology/Systems Department. The Bioinformatician must use his/her knowledge and expert understanding of informatics, genomics/biology, and other information generated by numerous sources to identify opportunities to improve data accuracy/integrity and to establish solid clinical genomics processes. Furthermore, the position requires the ability to accurately articulate technical plans, progress, and results to internal and external audiences, assist in implementation of division-wide business plans and innovative technologies/methodologies, and design surveillance programs to track and monitor progress. These functions must be done while also weighing the practical considerations and potential barriers that must be overcome to successfully implement new programs and processes.
- Maintain documentation of existing issues, fixes, and progress.
- Meet deadlines and turnaround times set by managers and department director (these deadlines and turnaround times will, at times, require the employee to work until the project is completed, meaning extended daily work hours, extended work weeks, or both).
- Establish processes to handle business requests to the Enterprise Analytics Omics Initiative efficiently and effectively.
- Manage routine and special projects which may require oversight of other departments work and coordination of a wide variety of functions.
- Helps guide and assist in the creation of data standards for the Enterprise Analytics Omics Initiative.
- Investigate variances in data consistency and integrity and assist in provide technically sound solutions; Implement and monitor effectiveness of these solutions.
- Provide guidance to peers and serve as reference point for questions.
- Ph.D. or M.S. degree in Genetics, Biology, Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, or related fields. – Extensive related experience will be considered.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in bioinformatics and/or systems analysis.
- Experience in health care related industries preferred, but those with relevant experience in other industries will be considered.
- Superior computer skills are given
- Programming experience in Java, C/C++, Python, R, and Perl; Scripting proficiency in Unix/Linux; Experienced in querying various databases (SQL) and operating various bioinformatics tools
- Experience in next generation sequence analysis, including whole genome/exome analysis, RNAseq and gene expression analysis.
- Experience in analysis of large multi-dimensional genomics datasets.
- Experience working in an HPC environment.
- Experience in cancer biology preferred.
- Experience in developing computational pipelines and algorithms for genomic analysis desired. Knowledge of basic statistical techniques and packages such as R/SAS/MATLAB.
- Person must demonstrate a high degree of professionalism, enthusiasm, and initiative daily. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment is necessary.
- Will need to manage multiple tasks and projects, and forge strong interpersonal relationships within the department, with other departments, and with external audiences.
- Attention to detail is critical to the success of this position, with demonstrated competency in customer orientation and the ability to deal with ambiguity.
- Excellent planning, communication, documentation, organizational, analytical, and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to interpret and summarize results of various analyses in a timely and meaningful way.
- Ability to effectively approach problem solving.
- Ability to re-engineer processes to positively impact productivity in terms of timeliness and accuracy.
- Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
UPMC has a Center for Engagement and Inclusion that is charged with executing leading-edge and next-generation diversity strategies to advance the organization’s diversity management capability and its national presence as a diversity leader. This includes having Employee Resource Groups, such as PRIDE Health or UPMC ENABLED (Empowering Abilities and Leveraging Differences) Network, which support the implementation of our diversity strategy.
- UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
More than just competitive pay and benefits, UPMC’s Total Rewards package cares for you in all areas of life — because we believe that you’re at your best when receiving the support you need: professional, personal, financial, and more.
At UPMC, we’re driven by shared values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.
Read more here: Source link