This position is located within United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, ARS Field Organization, Northeast Area, Eastern Regional Research Center, Dairy and Functional Foods Research Service in Wyndmoor, PA. The incumbent works as part of a scientific team, providing bioinformatics resource pertaining to metagenomics, metabolomics, and proteomics.
- Keeps abreast of new technologies and searches literature for the most applicable procedures, techniques or analyses relevant to projects.
- Provides training on the use of systems and programs and works with individual scientists and/or staff so they can prepare pipelines in support of their research.
- Provides guidance and advice on bioinformatics analysis methods, techniques, and results to other scientists in the research group and management unit.
- Performs investigations on the gut microbiota kinetics at the macro- and micro- levels in response to important components from dairy, fiber, and plant polyphenols, and whole foods.
- Works in collaboration with the laboratory scientists and other scientists to analyze the effect of food components on the microbial metabolome in order to correlate community structure and function.
- Uses high-throughput sequencing, next generation sequencing, computation genomics, and sequence alignment tools such as Blast or Bowie.
Ensures data security parameters and procedures are applied to ensure the integrity of the data.
- Runs statistical analysis to determine significance of any changes identified.
- Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit E-Verify at www.e-verify.gov/
- Successful completion of one-year probationary period, unless previously served.
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be Selective Service registered or exempt
- Direct Deposit ? Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to their financial institution
- You must be a US Citizen or US National
- Subject to satisfactory adjudication of background investigation and/or fingerprint check
Qualification & Experience:
Degree: biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position. OR
A combination of education and experience: Courses equivalent to a major, as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Qualifying experience for GS-12 includes one year of specialized experience comparable to GS-11 which is directly related to the work of this position and which has equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position.
Qualifying experience for GS-13 includes one year of specialized experience comparable to GS-12 which is directly related to the work of this position and which has equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position.
Company: U.S. DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Philadelphia, PA, US
Application Deadline: N/A
Read more here: Source link