The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations in the world aimed to explore the secrets of life. EMBL integrates 27 members states and currently employs apporx. 2 000 people across its six sites in Heidelberg, Barcelona, Grenoble, Hamburg, Hinxton, and Rome. EMBL Heidelberg is the headquarters site located in Heidelberg, Germany, integrating both research groups and core facilities.
Metabolomics Core Facility (www.embl.de/mcf) led by Theodore Alexandrov provides services for the analysis of metabolites and lipids to the internal EMBL users as well as to external users. The services include untargeted and targeted measurements of various classes of molecules ranging from small metabolites to lipids in a variety of biological matrices.
The facility is equipped with a high-resolution mass spectrometry system (HRMS), triple quadrupole with an ion trap (QTRAP) mass spectrometer coupled with ultra-high performance liquid chromatography (UHPLC), and direct infusion system (NanoMate) for separation and detection of various classes of small molecules, metabolites, lipids, and drugs.
The facility website (www.embl.de/mcf) presents more information about the services, instrumentation, as well as video tutorials prepared together with EMBL videolab and publications of the facility members and users.
EMBL is looking for a Scientific Officer to join the Metabolomics Core Facility. The key responsibilities will include
- Operating, maintaining, troubleshooting and record keeping for liquid chromatography, high resolution mass spectrometry instruments in particular QExactive Plus and Exploris 240
- Perform metabolomics experiments with a focus on untargeted metabolomics, follow analytical workflows and quality control systems from sample preparation to LC-MS analysis and for reporting results to the users
- Advising users on the experimental design, sample collection and processing in order to ensure validity and reliability of metabolomics results
- Managing the requests, receiving incoming samples, further developing the spectral library, and effectively using them for metabolomics analysis
- Contributing to administrative responsibilities of the facility such as ordering and maintaining lab inventory, invoicing users, day-to-day lab activities
We are seeking excellent candidates with experience. Depending on the experience and qualifications, the seniority of the position can be adjusted.
Applicants should have a Masters / Ph.D. degree or equivalent in Analytical Sciences, Chemistry or related disciplines. One or more years of relevant hands-on experience in the mass spectrometry field particularly working on LC-MS operations are essential. Hands-on experience in bioanalytical methods for small molecule analysis, haracterization of complex biological samples, and structural identification using LC-MS/MS are required. Communication skills in English, demonstrated ability or willingness to work in an interdisciplinary environment are required.
You might also have
- Knowledge of and experience in metabolite identification
- Knowledge of and experience in liquid chromatography
- Knowledge and experience with software for mass spectrometry data analysis using software such as XCalibur, CompoundDiscoverer, Progenesis QI as well as academic software for metabolomics
- Knowledge of biochemistry, molecular biology and metabolic pathways
- Experience working in the facility environment.
- Experience working with diverse samples ranging from cells and tissues to microbial extracts and biofluids.
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. We offer a highly collaborative, cutting-edge and vibrant international atmosphere with a very collegial and family-friendly working environment with excellent professional development opportunities. The remuneration package comprises from a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities, shuttle bus, an on-site kindergarten, cafeteria and a library. The knowledge of the German language is not required.
What else you need to know
The facility staff is integrated into the research team led by Theodore Alexandrov with the focus on spatial and single-cell metabolomics with several joint projects and developments, as well as joint meetings and activities.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed for up to 9 years in total, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
Job Type: Full-time
Read more here: Source link