About the team/job
IT Services operates and supports the IT infrastructure and services at EMBL headquarters in Heidelberg and at the laboratory’s sites in Barcelona and Rome. In collaboration with the EMBL-EBI in Cambridge our team is creating and implementing a new web infrastructure for all EMBL websites.
We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic Web Developer to join the Software and Solutions team within EMBL IT Services, who will be responsible for driving and implementing a new enterprise database service, in order to improve web access to the laboratory’s dynamic content.
will include the following responsibilities:
- Closely collaborate with stakeholders across EMBL sites to define the requirements for the enterprise database
- Design and implement a database schema for all dynamic business objects involved
- Implement the backend feeds to this database
- Provide a lightweight REST API to access the data
- Closely interact with frontend web development teams consuming the API
- Support, monitor and manage your product
- A degree in computer science or equivalent
- Ideally several years of professional experience in application development
- Excellent knowledge of distributed version control systems such as ‘git’
- Excellent knowledge of at least two of the following languages:
- ECMAScript or TypeScript
- HTML5 and CSS3
- Solid knowledge of modern relational and object/document databases
- Experience in implementing APIs (in particular, RESTful and/or GraphQL)
- Hands-on knowledge of CI/CD (preferably based on Gitlab)
- Good understanding of containerization practices, microservices and event-driven architectures, as well as information security concepts
- excellent communication skills and the ability to work both individually and as part of a diverse team
- Proficiency in spoken and written English
You might also have
- Experience with Kubernetes and cloud services
- Experience working with large legacy codebases and monolithic services
- Knowledge of further scripting languages (Bash script, Perl, etc.)
- Knowledge of modern client-side MVC frameworks
- General understanding of agile methodologies
Why join us
We offer you
- the opportunity to work with latest technology, being exposed to a fast-growing big data environment operating over 350 petabytes of scientific data and high-end computing across multiple centres to support science at EMBL
- a competitive salary (indicated above) and a comprehensive pension scheme; medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial sponsorship for relocation and installation for you and your family
- a flexible and friendly, international working environment fostering creativity
- certified training and continued development of your professional and personal skills
- we are an inclusive, equal opportunity employer strongly committed to achieving gender balance
- to be part of one of the world’s highest ranked scientific research organizations and to commit to this joint effort to better understand the principles of life
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with 1700 employees from many nations operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (DE, headquarters), Barcelona (ES), Hinxton near Cambridge (UK), Hamburg (DE), Grenoble (FR) and Rome (IT).
The working language of the institute is English.
If you feel you have the right skills and experience, please apply online at www.embl.org/jobs!
Discover more on working with EMBL IT Services at embl.de/itservices.
Read more here: Source link