JMI Laboratories is a mid-sized company based in North Liberty, IA. A global leader for twenty years in anti-infectives research, JMI monitors annual changes in antibiotic resistance patterns through the SENTRY Antimicrobial Surveillance Program, serves as a clinical and reference laboratory in support of new drug development, and conducts internal research projects on a variety of pathogenic microorganisms.
JMI prides itself on promoting a culture of research excellence and supporting passionate team members of many unique clinical, industrial, and academic backgrounds.
We are seeking a highly motivated Bioinformatics Scientist to lead the development of applications and data analysis of bacterial and fungal Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) data.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work in a fast-paced and collaborative environment to support analysis of NGS sequencing data from microorganisms collected worldwide. In addition, the candidate will contribute to presentation and publication of genomic analysis research findings in peer-reviewed publications and client reports.
This position will work with scientific staff to generate and provide next generation sequencing (NGS) analysis that might include project reports, publications, and custom analysis, build and execute tools for data processing workflows to facilitate data interpretation, and provide data management support. The Bioinformatics Scientist will be involved in the day-to-day data analysis of genomic data and contribute to the creation or enhancement of tools to visualize complex genomic data sets.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop bioinformatic software, analysis pipelines, and applications to make genomics results and findings available internally.
- Develop new software applications and customize existing applications to meet specific scientific project needs.
- Communicate and contribute genomic results as a co-author through conference presentations, scientific publications, and project reports.
- Analyze large molecular datasets, such as genomic sequence and gene expression data, for clinical or research purposes.
- Provide statistical and computational tools for biologically based activities, such as genetic analysis, measurement of gene expression, and gene function determination.
- Collaborate with software developers in the development and modification of commercial bioinformatics software or creating applications for developed workflows.
- 3-5 years of programming experience.
- Hands-on experience analyzing next-generation sequencing data.
- Proficiency in Conda, Python, and SQL.
- Experience in AWS cloud services, Docker, and git.
- Proficiency with bash scripting in a Linux environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in a science-related field.
JMI Laboratories is based in North Liberty, IA and offers a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes health, dental, vacation, 401(k) and profit sharing.
If you want to contribute directly to help the world combat infectious diseases, we encourage you to submit your cover letter and resume below or email to HR@jmilabs.com
JMI Laboratories is an equal opportunity employer. No recruiters or agencies please.
Read more here: Source link