Location: EMBL-EBI, Hinxton near Cambridge, UK
Contract Duration: 3 years (renewable upto 9 years)
Grading: Grade 5 – 6 (Monthly salary staring at £2,809 – £3,143 after tax) + other paid allowances
Closing Date: 1 October 2021
Reference Number: EBI01891
About this position
Ensembl is looking for an enthusiastic outreach officer to join our team, providing support and training to users of our genome resources.
Ensembl develops free, comprehensive genome data services for a global audience, distributing gene and genome data through an online browser and publicly accessible databases and programmatic interfaces (APIs). Ensembl provides resources to support genomics advancements in health, agriculture and environmental research worldwide. If successful, you will be a part of this effort.
Ensembl Outreach is responsible for interacting with our diverse user community, from experimental laboratory scientists to bioinformaticians, by providing support and delivering training courses for resources which include Ensembl, Ensembl Genomes and the International Genome Sample Resource (IGSR).
In this role you will be involved in teaching, training and supporting Ensembl users.
- Direct support of user queries via email and Request Tracker (RT)
including website, data, API and advanced tool support, liaising with
other Ensembl teams as needed.
- Planning and delivering training workshops on our browser, tools and
APIs and their applications for genomic analyses. Workshops will be
held both virtually and face-to-face. The latter requiring extensive
worldwide travel as current restrictions are relaxed.
- Creating and maintaining documentation and e-learning materials.
- Disseminating key developments via social media (e.g. Twitter,
Facebook and blogs).
- Direct interaction with our development teams to fix bugs identified
by users and find solutions to user problems.
- Supporting usability testing and web design.
You will report to the Ensembl Outreach Project Manager and will also have opportunities to work with EMBL-EBI’s Training Team.
- You have a background in bioinformatics or a related field.
- You have excellent English communication skills, both written and
verbal, to facilitate effective interactions with other team members
and to communicate with our diverse external collaborators and user
- You enjoy working as a part of an inclusive and outward-facing team.
- You have experience delivering presentations and workshops both
online and in person to scientific audiences.
- You are highly self-motivated and able to work independently,
prioritising tasks, delivering to deadlines and with a keen eye for
You might also have
- Experience with UNIX/Linux, programming languages such as Python,
Perl or R and relational databases such as MySQL.
- A PhD or equivalent experience with genomics analyses such as
clinical genomics, RNA-seq, ChIP-seq or similar.
- Experience in teaching, training, public outreach, online help,
customer service or planning events, in or out of science.
If you think you would be a good fit then we look forward to receiving your application.
Why join us
Do something meaningful
At EMBL-EBI you can apply your talent and passion to accelerate science and tackle some of humankind’s greatest challenges. EMBL-EBI, part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory, is a worldwide leader in the storage, analysis and dissemination of large biological datasets. We provide the global research community with access to publicly available databases and tools which are crucial for the advancement of healthcare, food security, and biodiversity.
Join a culture of innovation
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus, alongside other prominent research and biotech organisations, and surrounded by beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. This is a highly collaborative and inclusive community where our employees enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. We are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their professional potential.
Enjoy lots of benefits:
- Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident
allowances, annual salary review, pension scheme including 17%
employer contribution, death benefit, long-term care,
accident-at-work and unemployment insurances
- Flexible working arrangements
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family
(including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year, in addition to
eight bank holidays
- Relocation package including installation grant (if applicable)
- Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, on-site library,
subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria, casual dress code, extensive
sports and social club activities (on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: On-site nursery, child sick leave, generous parental
leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child
- Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for
private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home
country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance.
For more details please see our employee benefits page.
What else you need to know
- Contract duration: This position is a 3 year contract, renewable to a
maximum of 9 years.
- International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful
candidates are offered visa exemptions. Read more on our page for
- Diversity and inclusion: At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that
inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation
and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ+
and individuals from all nationalities.
- Job location: This role is based in Hinxton, UK and you will be
required to relocate once it is safe to do so, if you are currently
based abroad. Read more about how we are recruiting during the
- Your application: To apply please submit a cover letter and a CV
through our online system. We aim to provide a response within two
weeks after the closing date.
Read more here: Source link