Medical Science & Computing (MSC), a Dovel company, is seekimg a skilled C Software Developer to support our work at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in Bethesda, MD (when it is safe).
NCBI, the National Center for Biotechnology Information, the nation’s premier biomedical resource, is seeking a software developer to help deliver biological sequence annotation and data curation infrastructure for the nation’s foremost sequence and biomedical literature repositories. Sites at NCBI, a part of the National Library of Medicine (NLM) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), see four million daily users searching for gene sequence data, biomedical journal citations, and a wide array of other information that directly impacts biomedical research and public health. NCBI’s annotation pipelines not only serve these diverse expert communities – they actually drive new life sciences discoveries, ranging from medical health (viruses and pandemics, genetic diseases, cancer) to public health (food safety monitoring, antimicrobial resistance, viral outbreaks), to basic research topics in computational biology, bioinformatics and microbial diversity, and many more.
On a technical level, NCBI’s wide range of applications, platforms (e.g. node, Python, Django, C ), and applications and environments (petabyte-level big data, multiple cloud providers) serve more users than the US Postal Service and see more traffic than the IRS at tax time. We embrace FAIR principles (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, Reusable) and are on the cutting edge of civic tech and cloud computing.
This role calls for more than an expert coder and architect – someone who can work equally effectively with subject-matter experts, user researchers, designers, product managers, scientists, security and DevOps engineers, and more. Work with teams of dedicated, skilled developers, researchers, and product professionals as you build robust, flexible solutions serving dozens of production applications, APIs and services. Join us!
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the development, implementation, testing, and continued maintenance of NCBI bioinformatics software and information retrieval systems
- Work with a diverse group of scientists, bioinformaticians and other developers across the center to implement efficient bioinformatics algorithms
- Learn new technologies, keep up with internal systems, and share your knowledge with the team
- Bachelors degree in STEM or equivalent work experience
- 3 years of experience handling large amounts of data or working in a distributed computing environment
- Strong proficiency in C
- Programming experience in a Linux environment
- Experience with MS SQL server and relational database design and optimization
- Fluency in some scripting languages such as BASH, csh, Perl, or Python
- 5 years of working with genetic and biological data
- Experience with MongoDB or other NoSQL database technology
- Experience with Docker or other containerization mechanisms
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines, unit testing, integration and regression testing
- Experience using GitHub
- Experience with Cloud technologies a strong plus
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you’ll get…
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals – we’ve got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program and a membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.
Read more here: Source link