Bioinformatics Biomedical Scientist – Bilsborough Lab – Inflammatory Bowel Diseases Drug Discovery and Development
Requisition # HRC0697538
Join us in accelerating the pace of research and discovery within our unique IBD3 lab!
Cedars-Sinai provides virtually every known gastroenterologic analytical procedure and treatment for digestive diseases and disorders. The Bilsborough Laboratory’s Inflammatory Bowel Diseases Drug Discovery and Development (IBD3) unit is composed of research scientists and clinicians with experience in both the biopharmaceutical industry and clinical research.
The IBD3 unit at Cedars-Sinai’s Inflammatory Bowel & Immunobiology Research Institute, under the leadership of Dr. Janine Bilsborough, is seeking an experienced bioinformatics Biomedical Scientist with broad-ranging expertise to engage with principal investigators, research scientists, research nurses, study coordinators, and other data analytics professionals at the interface of data science and biology/medicine. To learn more, please visit: Bilsborough Research Lab | Cedars-Sinai (cedars-sinai.edu)
The bioinformatics Biomedical Scientist will work closely with an internationally world-class team of investigators and medical professionals in an integrated science environment dedicated to discovering and developing new treatments, combination therapies, and companion diagnostics for Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
- Provide bioinformatics analysis support for -omic datasets (genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics), particularly, integration of omics-datasets using QTL methods and analysis of transcriptomic datasets from either bulk or single cell seq methodologies.
- Perform data analysis and software compilations including next generation sequence alignment, polymorphism identification, expression analysis, and providing visualization tools, dashboards and browsers.
- Provide bioinformatics expertise in the design of experiments and studies, including research proposal development, sample size determination, and plans for interim reviews and final analysis.
- Identify, evaluate, and incorporate relevant algorithms and software pipelines by reviewing pertinent literature in bioinformatics and computational biology
- Learn new technologies and analytical platforms for data analysis and interrogation of biological pathways.
- Manage data including loading and querying data from database systems, downloading -omic data from public repositories, and transform data to the necessary formats.
- Interact with and support other bioinformatics colleagues and researchers in pursuing excellence in research by the generation of new ideas and concepts, and their dissemination.
- Bachelor’s Degree in molecular biology, microbiology, biochemistry or related science/engineering field, required.
- Master of Science/Engineering Degree or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Electric Engineering, Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, or in relevant fields (e.g. Biology with strong quantitative training, biostatistics with a concentration in bioinformatics), preferred.
Experience and Skillset:
- Eight (8) years experience in GMP/GLP or equivalent regulated facility.
- Working knowledge in algorithms, scientific computing, and machine learning or statistics.
- Experience using PLINK, Hail, Metal for genetics data manipulation. Proficient in R, R-Shiny, Python, and the Unix (Linux) environment, experience with Tableau.
- Knowledge of Matrix eQTL, FastQTL a plus. Knowledge of upstream NGS analysis i.e. mapping reads, annotation.
- Experience with publicly available tools such as UCSC Browser, GTEX, Open Targets, GWAS catalog, and others. Solid understanding of pathway analysis programs and databases.
- Experience with cloud computing.
- Proficiency in the development, testing, and maintenance of modular software pipelines for genome sequencing, assembly, annotation, and genotyping using high-throughput sequencing platforms.
- Enthusiasm for working within a team environment focused on improving patient lives.
- Working Title: Bioinformatics Biomedical Scientist – Bilsborough Lab – Inflammatory Bowel Diseases Drug Discovery and Development
- Department: Home Dept – Gastroenterology
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Family & Function, Academic / Research
- Job Specialty: Academic/Research
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.
Read more here: Source link