Location: Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, St Marys Campus
We are seeking to appoint a Lead Bioinformatician, which will be funded by Health Data Research UK (www.hdruk.ac.uk/). HDR UK is the new national institute for data science for health, which was established in 2018 with long term funding support from research councils, UKRI, charitable and governmental research funders. HDR UK seeks to drive improvements in the health of patients and populations through research at regional and national scale. The triple mission of HDR UK spans discovery of disease mechanisms in science through:
- Precision medicine and trials to public health
- Establishing platforms and underlying infrastructure to enable research at national scale
- Developing training and capacity opportunities.
To deliver this mission, the five major London universities – UCL (coordinating), Imperial College London, King’s College London, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and Queen Mary University of London – came together as a pan London Site. The terms of this partnership are set out in the Site Agreement. The six HDR UK Sites include London, Cambridge University (the Sanger and European Bioinformatics Institute), Oxford, the Midlands, Scotland and Wales/ Northern Ireland.
Duties and Responsibilities
This is a senior role that will require you to take operational responsibility for the Design, running and coordination of the analyses, and infrastructure management aspects of HDR UK London site projects, whilst reporting to the Imperial site Director.
You will design, supervise and personally undertake/participate in bioinformatics and statistical analyses for the project, take an active role in developing and implementing the data management plan, as well as overseeing and coordinating the overall computational infrastructure and data management.
You will represent Imperial as an expert in Bioinformatics at HDR-UK meetings to advise, coordinate and implement bioinformatics data analysis across institutions in London and as part of the wider UK network. You will liaise with Research Fellows and postdoctoral staff within Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, other personnel in the HDR UK project itself including members of partner institutions.
To be successful as a Lead Bioinformatician:
- You should have a post-graduate qualification (in bioinformatics, computational biology, statistics, epidemiology, or other relevant quantitative sciences)
- Have a thorough working knowledge of a wide range of bioinformatics analyses, including e.g. sequence-based analyses, proteomics, transcriptomics, genomics, metagenomics
- Be familiar with the quantitative methodology and computational aspects of bioinformatics
- Have experience of using/coding analytics and statistics methods/software
- Be motivated and extremely organised with experience in project management and working in multi-disciplinary teams.
The post is full time and fixed-term until 31st May 2023, based at the St Mary’s Hospital Campus, Paddington.
For further information and an informal discussion contact Ms Eno Umoh (email@example.com) or for a formal discussion please contact Dr Abbas Dehghan (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Our preferred method of application is online via our website www.imperial.ac.uk/jobs. Please complete and upload an application form as directed.
For technical issues when applying online please email email@example.com
The College is a proud signatory to the San-Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), which means that in hiring and promotion decisions, we evaluate applicants on the quality of their work, not the journal impact factor where it is published. For more information, see www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-evaluation/
Read more here: Source link