When you join Ancestry, you join a human-centered company where every person’s story is important. We believe that by discovering the struggles and triumphs of our past, we can foster deeper bonds and more meaningful connections among families and communities. Our talented team of scientists, engineers, genealogists, historians, and storytellers is dedicated to empowering customers around the world from all backgrounds on their journeys of personal discovery.
With more than 27+ billion digitized global historical records, 100 million family trees, and 18 million people in our growing AncestryDNA database, Ancestry helps customers discover their family story and gain a new level of understanding about their lives. Passionate about dedicating your work to enriching people’s lives? You belong at Ancestry.
AncestryDNA is looking for an experienced bioinformatician who has deep AWS domain expertise and is an experienced infrastructure DevOps Engineer to lead our R&D Bioinformatics team and efforts. You will contribute as part of our DNA Science team, which includes data scientists, computational biologists, and population geneticists working at the forefront of combining our 20+ million sample genomics dataset with our vast collection of family history records and trees to empower the development of new methods and the creation of new insights into the histories of the human family. We ask that you have team leadership, collaboration, and hands-on-keyboard daily execution.
What You Will Do:
- You will lead the DNA Science bioinformatics team with 2 direct reports
- You will work independently and with other Engineering teams to develop tools on AWS for research
- You will support the DNA Science research team by coordinating access to multiple datasets, ensuring the highest standards of privacy and security
- You will be part of the team responsible for developing and operating the cloud environment that supports the research team.
- You will collaborate across the organization to identify opportunities to innovate, improve the customer experience, and achieve departmental goals
- You will be an organizational expert on AWS best practices and support learning and development of the DNA Science and DNA Engineering team
Who You Are:
- You will have a PhD or M.S. in computer science, bioinformatics, or a related field.
- Minimum 5 years of post-education experience working with cloud-based research infrastructure.
- Knowledge of core Cloud Computing concepts and advanced-level experience with AWS is required.
- Advanced knowledge of Linux (including system administration) and Python programming.
- Experience managing teams.
- Experience with CI/CD (e.g. Jenkins), IAC (e.g. Terraform), Workflow-based distributed scientific analysis pipelines (e.g. Snakemake), network file system (e.g. Gluster), and job managers (e.g. Slurm)
- Knowledge of storage performance concepts (iops, throughput, and performance bottlenecks)
- Experience working with distributed computing tools (Hadoop, Hive, Spark)
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills in our collaborative and fast-paced team.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
Read more here: Source link