Bioinformatics Analyst II
Job ID: req3154
Employee Type: exempt full-time
Division: Applied & Development Research Program
Facility: Frederick: Ft Detrick
Location: PO Box B, Frederick, MD 21702 USA
The Frederick National Laboratory is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and operated by Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. The lab addresses some of the most urgent and intractable problems in the biomedical sciences in cancer and AIDS, drug development and first-in-human clinical trials, applications of nanotechnology in medicine, and rapid response to emerging threats of infectious diseases.
Accountability, Compassion, Collaboration, Dedication, Integrity and Versatility; it’s the FNL way.
LHRI – The Laboratory of Human Retrovirology and Immunoinformatics (LHRI), Clinical Services Program, Applied/Developmental Directorate, has studied mechanism multiple drug resistance (MDR) of HIV and HIV pathogenesis by performing basic and clinical research. The mission of the LHRI is to support NIAID ongoing clinical therapy for HIV, SARS-CoV2 and other relevant pathogen-infected patients by investigating the mechanism of immune and viral responses in infected individuals utilizing microbiological, biochemical, and immunological techniques, and bioinformatics analysis.
We are seeking a highly motivated bioinformatics analyst, who will work with a team of bioinformatics scientists in Bioinformatics Section in LHRI to provide collaborative bioinformatics support to the investigators in LHRI and other research laboratories at the ADRD, NIAID, NIH.
- The analysis and interpretation of high-throughput biomedical data generated by next-generation sequencing (NGS) and other platforms
- Keeps up-to-date with analytical methods and software for analyzing high-throughput biomedical data
- Contribute to a team effort in designing, developing and deploying robust workflows, as well as custom scripts, to support the analysis of high-throughput data
- Writes well-documented computer code, conducts code reviews and programming validation as needed
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university (according to CHEA). (Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the required education). Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency
- Education and/or work experience in informatics, bioinformatics, information systems, computer science, statistics, molecular biology, genetics or closely related field required
- In addition to education, a minimum of three (3) year of progressively responsible relevant experience is required for candidate with BS degree. Applicants with graduate degree less work experience will be considered accordingly
- Strong analytical skills with experience in applying and/or developing methods for analyzing various types of high throughput biomedical data (genomics, transcriptomics) from different platforms (e.g. RNA-Seq, ScRNA-Seq, CHIP-Seq etc.)
- Competent in using Linux/Unix operating system command line interface.
- Proficiency in at least two of the following programming languages: Python, R, Perl, Java and C/C++
- Familiarity with public databases: NCBI, Ensembl and other databases with different specialty
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- A Master degree in relevant scientific field is preferred
- Work experience in molecular biology, HIV or other viruses is a plus
- Experience of statistics analysis is a plus
- Management of large genomic data sets including integration with data available from public sources
- Record of scientific achievements including journal publications and conference presentations
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) | Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) | Drug Free Workplace (DFW)
Read more here: Source link