HJF is seeking a Senior Bioinformatics Scientist to contribute to the advancement of Bioinformatics, particularly in the areas of Genomics and Metagenomics. In addition, designs, develops, and guides the implementation of software solutions that aid in the visualization and analysis of Next-generation Sequencing data (NGS). Develops solutions to large scale problems as well as customized algorithms and mathematical models to problems in Genomics, Genetics, Metagenomics and NGS.
This position will be in support of the Surgical Critical Care Initiative (SC2i). The Surgical Critical Care Initiative (SC2i), funded by the Department of Defense was established in 2013. SC2i is a Uniformed Services University center that leverages legacy information from service members, and critically ill civilian and military patients to develop biomarker-driven clinical decision support tools (CDSTs) with the goal of improving patient clinical outcomes and reducing costs across the injury/disease cycle.
Learn more about SC2i here: sc2i.usuhs.edu/
The role offers a flexible hybrid schedule with 3 days per week in-office in Bethesda, MD.
- Applies for grant support to novel lines of research in Bioinformatics.
- Creates new algorithms and mathematical models to solve problems in Genomics and NGS.
- Develops and guides the implementation of specialized software to solve Biological problems and support infrastructure development.
- Develops and guides the implementation of customized pipelines to solve recurrently appearing problems in Genomics and NGS.
- Trains and supervises junior scientists, Bioinformatics analysts and students providing collaborative assistance in various computing modalities to include but not limited to cloud experience.
- Cooperates with other groups in finding Statistical and Bioinformatics solutions to problems that may improve their research flow.
- Prepares funding documents, written reports, manuscripts for submission to scientific journals, and patent applications.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned or directed by the supervisor. This may include attendance of and participation in required training for role.
QualificationsRequired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong background in Computer Science, Statistics, Genomics, Genetics, RDBMS, Cloud Computing, Google APIs, Bioinformatics and Computational Biology required.
- Programming skills in languages such as C++ or/and JAVA , and experience programming in PERL or PYTHON.
- Expert level programming in statistical software such as SQL and R preferred.
- RDBMS preferred
- YAML languages such as Helm, Terraform or Ansible preferred.
- Cloud experience required, certifications preferred.
- Ability to stand or sit at a computer for prolonged periods.
- This position will take place primarily in an office setting.
Education And Experience
- Masters Degree
- Minimum of 6-8 years experience required.
Preferred QualificationsSome positions or sites may require that the incumbent be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination may be required.Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, education and credentials, a criminal background check, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check if applicable. Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals With Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.
Read more here: Source link